Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Cambells Tomato Soup - your ideas needed

So, I am in South Texas , just outside of Houston.   As you have heard we have some very flavorful food here.   I dont normally cook with a can of tomato soup, but with budget constraints I am tying to use what I have in the pantry.   I have found a few recipes that use it, but am still  undecided.   So... what are your tried and true recipe favorites using tomato soup.   This is the recipe I am considering: Porcupine Meatballs from food.com.  They are one of my favorite websites and are formerly known as recipezaar.com  I guess I am afraid of a very bland recipe.  I cannot add anything really spicy, but  I guess I am looking to impart alot of flavor. So, if you have any ideas to improve on the following recipe they are welcome.  I really want  my family to  say  "Hey, this is great, make this again! Or, something along the lines of that statement.  

Porcupine Meatballs
Ingredients:Serves: 4 -5 ,

Servings: 20
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, snipped or 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 dash pepper
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup, divided
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions:Prep Time: 15 mins

Total Time: 55 mins

1 Combine ground beef, rice, egg, parsley, onion, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of the tomato soup. Mix well. 2 Shape mixture into about 20 small meatballs. 3 Place meatballs in a large skillet. 4 Mix rest of soup, water, and Worcestershire in a small bowl; pour over meatballs. 5 Bring to a boil. 6 Reduce heat; cover; and simmer 40 mintes or until meatballs are cooked and rice is soft, stirring often.
http://www.food.com/recipe/porcupine-meatballs-57173
 
thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I am in Tasmania, Australia and it was so strange to see this recipe come up as I was thinking to have this for dinner myself. I make them regularly and usually add some Parmesan cheese to the mince mixture and some tasty cheese on top and I cook it in the oven. They are delicious, all tomatoey and cheesey - I serve it with some crusty rolls. DELICIOUS! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello i'm in ny and i'll try to help give you some options like...

    garlic (and/or garlic salt), chicken base, curry, a cup or less of sherry, butter, (heavy) cream, you could add more veggies in the soup (like avocado, cucumber, V8 (or tomato juice), carrots- oh and for the veggies blending them together is best, not the chunks-, lemon zest, chardonnay if you like that, mushrooms, wine, cinnamon, whatever rocks your uh bowl. heehee.
    oh and if you like, dip some grilled cheese into the soup.
    oh and in nyc there is this amazing french restaurant with the best tomato soup. ever. promise.
    maybe.
    hope this helps and doesn't ruin your tastebuds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daffodil, that sounds really good. I think I may try that method the next go round as the sauce on the stove evaporated a little too much this time, and I still think it can use something else... cheesy goodness may just be the answer

    ReplyDelete
  4. ellen, thanks, I think some of cream and carrots deffinately would help this... I jsut cant serve them tomato soup. as good as it can be it just wouldnt go over well, so I have to use it in recipes. to me, any recipe with canned tomato soup is usually bland and I need to find ways to make it into something they like.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think....?